The main elements of the platform are:
- a 5-axis DELTA robot designed to be extremely stiff and precise
- a 2 or 3D scanner depending on the application and a laser source performances selected to fit the process
- a customizable optical path and beam shape
- a software and a controller capable of synchronizing up to 8 numerical axes and to work from a CAD drawing of the component to be polished
- a patented atmosphere control chamber, specially designed to maintain the full laser beam properties, which is docked onto the robot wrist
Finally, as an option, the platform can be equipped with conveyors and palletizers for full autonomy or integration into a production line
For polishing operations, the processed surfaces are defined by means of a CAD drawing of the concerned component. This drawing is then interpreted by the machine’s software which generates the trajectories of the robot and the scanner as well as the work instructions.
The system is equipped with a camera that is installed on the optical head of the machine. At the beginning of each cycle, it provides the pertinent geometric references of the component to be polished. Based on this information, the system calculates the position of the component and starts the polishing process. The selected areas are processed using a high frequency pulsed laser that melts the material locally. Surface tension smoothens the material before it solidifies again.